Friday, October 30, 2020

Latin Unchained (partially)

I am glad to report that Amazon’s Kindle Publishing Direct now permits books in Latin, but only in a paperback format. Kindle is still off-limits. Why, I don’t know. Perhaps it has something to do with how the book is encoded. Whatever the reason is, it seems a lame one given all that computers can do these days. Can't someone just say, "Alexa, make my Latin book a Kindle book"? 


(By the way, I recently tried to upload a book I did in Hawaiian. No deal. They refused, stating that Hawaiian was an unrecognized FOREIGN language. I told them that Hawaiian is an official language of the State of Hawai‘i. Still they won’t budge. Isn’t there some Hawaiian activist out there willing to take up this challenge? Auē nō ho‘i ē!)


So my revised translation of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility in a Latin-only edition is now available on Amazon for $11.99. If you follow this link, you can read the first chapter and a bit beyond to get a taste. The illustrations I did were inspired by early nineteenth-century fashion engravings, known as, mirabile dictū, fashion plates. 





If you go to these links on my webpage, you can see all of my books translated into Latin.


http://jamesrumford.com/latin.html


http://jamesrumford.com/sense.html

No comments:

Post a Comment